10 Tips for being the best patient
getting the best medical advice
Bring a list of questions you have with you so you are sure to remember them and get them answered.
1. Any symptoms you are having; discuss first the ones that bother you the most and you think are most serious.
2. Your health history, including ALL medications and supplements (vitamins and herbal remedies) you are taking. Your MFH doctor needs and wants to know how much you take, of what does, and how often. It is best to either write it down on a list before your office visit, or bring the bottles with you.
3. Any allergies/side effects from your medications, and from your supplements –both those in the past and from those you are presently taking.
4. Any X-rays, blood tests or other tests you have taken recently. Bring any of this documentation with you if you have it, including the results, when you had the test and where.
5. To please repeat that – whenever you don’t understand something. Don’t be afraid to speak up. This IS about you.
6. Any health questions. Bring a list of questions you have with you so you are sure to remember them and get them answered. Prioritize the list and put the most important questions and concerns first.
7. For more time—say when you need more time to understand something the doctor said, or to get answers to your questions.
8. Create a health journal that contains all your key medical information, and bring it with you to each medical visit. We also always welcome family members, with the patient’s approval.
9. Use the paper and pen MFH provides in each examination room so you don’t forget your questions…and the doctor’s answers.
10. Call us if you have questions /problems once you get home. Pay attention to possible allergic reactions to certain medications, such as a rash, headache, upset stomach, difficulty urinating, and breathing problems.