Why We Are Doctors
By getting to know our patients, their families, and their cultural backgrounds, we are better able to help guide them on the health care path that is the right one for them.
We at Maverick Family Health practice Patient Centered Care, which is grounded in a mutually beneficial partnership among the patients, their families and the providers. This partnership involves all aspects of the planning, delivery and evaluation of health care.
Many people are confused by the term. We understand it to mean that our job is to meet the needs of the patient. A more detailed explanation focuses on understanding the core concepts that we practice at Maverick Family Health:
1. Respect and Dignity. We listen to our patients and we honor their choices. By getting to know our patients, their families, and their cultural backgrounds, we are better able to help guide them on the health care path that is the right one for them.
2. Information and Education. We encourage the asking of questions, and we answer them. It’s important to us that our patients have complete unbiased information that is useful. We believe in shared decision making with our patients, and us.
3. Patient Involvement and Participation. We encourage our patients to make a clear decision whom they want to be involved in their care and to what extent. We support and respect the level of decision making chosen by the adult patient.
4. Continuity of Care. We ensure the continuity of care and security of transition between health care settings, including the patient’s home, so that all who interact with the patient have the information needed to avoid mistakes, and appropriately treat the patient. We are very proactive in preventing unnecessary and problematic interactions between multiple medications.
5. Physical Comfort. It’s important the we accommodate the patient’s physical comfort. This may include making sure the patient is not in pain, that we interact at eye level, and to lessen anxiety, we explain as much about a procedure as possible in advance.
In opening our newest clinic in Boiceville, we feel that we are undertaking much more than an expansion of our longstanding practice in Woodstock, but opening up a whole new world of partnerships deeper into our greater community.
Remember, as family doctors we are trained to treat up to 90 percent of medical concerns. Moreover, we emphasize prevention, yet help our patients through acute crises and chronic medical conditions. We will care for you when you’re in the hospital, and make home visits when needed. We simply do not believe in a separation between mind and body.
We look forward to becoming part of your circle of families and friends over the coming years, and helping our community grow healthily, and wholly.
Thank you for having us. We are here to serve you all.
Randall Rissman, M.D.
Martin Krakower M.D.